QUIET DISMISSAL OF U.S. LAWSUIT
Statement by Minister of Communications and Multimedia
24 September 2016
1. The class action lawsuit filed in the United States against 1MDB and others by Tun Mahathir Mohamad's political secretary Matthias Chang and Husam Musa generated global controversy. It was based purely on the allegations in the US Department of Justice civil complaint, and on false smears published by the Wall Street Journal.
2. This lawsuit by Tun Mahathir's henchmen generated global news and controversy when it was filed on 11 August. But, strangely, the Wall Street Journal and other Western media haven't reported that yesterday the lawsuit was dismissed.
3. The reality is that it was baseless from the start, a pure publicity stunt to manipulate public perceptions. Part of Tun Mahathir's plan to sabotage 1MDB and damage Malaysia's economy to unseat the democratically-elected government. And all this for selfish political reasons, just to benefit his son Datuk Seri Mukhriz Mahathir.
4. It must be frustrating for Tun Mahathir that each of his attempts to subvert Malaysia's democracy has failed. They will continue to fail. One of the hallmarks of a true leader is knowing when to quit quietly.
5. The Prime Minister's real record has just been stated by UNESCO's Director-General Irina Bokova. She said that "Under the leadership of Prime Minister Najib Abdul Razak, the government of Malaysia has taken a firm stance against violent extremism through inclusion and education, which UNESCO considers the most effective long-term prevention to forces threatening to divide societies". She also praised Malaysia as "An example to countries of all income levels"; said the country is "Proof that respect for diversity is a source of enrichment"; and that we have taken the lead in encouraging "The teaching of religion to promote tolerance, respect and mutual understanding".
6. The government won't be distracted by Tun Mahathir's increasingly desperate attempts. The Prime Minister will continue to serve the people and prioritise their security, safety and prosperity.
Datuk Seri Panglima Dr Salleh Said Keruak,
Minister of Communications and Multimedia,