Friday, September 1, 2017
SEA GAMES AND MERDEKA DAY : A DOUBLE JOY FOR MALAYSIA
Salleh Said Keruak
1. On August 30, 2017, I was at the Bukit Jalil Stadium for the closing ceremony of the SEA Games. I was so proud, excited and overwhelmed at the sight of the stadium being filled to the brim with 100,000 people.
2. People of different ages and all walks of life came together to celebrate our victory as the 29th SEA Games overall champion.
We not only succeeded our target of 111 gold medals, achieved in the 2001 edition, but we instead surpassed that figure and ammased
a record 145 gold medals out of 404 gold medals at stake (35.9 percent).
3. After the closing ceremony of the SEA Games, the historic event continued with the celebration of our 60th independence day.
When the PM took to the stage , he was greeted with rousing applause from the audience.
4. The applause and roar became stronger when the PM announced September 4 as public holiday as a gift by the government to the people of Malaysia in conjunction with three major events -- our landslide victory at the SEA Games, Independence day
and Hajj celebration.
5. Interestingly, I noticed that the majority of those who applauded were young people, showing their gratitude to the PM for rediscovering our superiority and dominance in sports in this region.
The PM commended Youth and Sports Minister Khairy Jamaluddin as the architect for this success and glory.This is a symbolic of PM's appreciation, thanking Khairy to extend gratitude to the youngsters who have been with Khairy to create this glory and success for our country.
6. Yesterday morning on August 31, we celebrated independence day. The celebration was truly remarkable. Peoples from various races and religions thronged from early morning to celebrate this historic day.
7. From the stage I saw the patriotism among the people, appreciating the contribution of the nation's independence fighters. I see the 1Malaysia concept flourished.
8. Today we celebrate Hari Raya Aidil Adha. After the solat Raya, we sacrifice. That makes it three consecutive days of celebration for us Malaysians. Let's make these events as a day for us to rise together and moving forward.
9. Today in the morning , I really feel the essence of Negaraku Sehati Sejiwa.